In my clients 1:1 sessions this week there’s been lots of discussion around influencing and building relationships⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
To be truly heard:
- We must step in the shoes of the other person, what is important to them? What drives them? What are their stressors?
- Seek to understand before being trying to be understood
- Think of mutual beneficial outcomes
- Preparation is key! Think of a conversation that went well, when you did feel heard. What can you learn from it and repeat?
- Use “I” statements rather than “you” so “I feel like this this” or “I may be wrong….” this takes responsibility rather than accusing with the likes of “you need to do..” or “you made me feel like..” which will immediately put the other person in defence mode⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And lastly remove the emotion and look at the end goal. If the goal is to build stronger relationships than that is a better goal rather than how can I get them to see my point of view…